Both the companies at the production site in Cadorago (Como), Caglificio Clerici and Sacco, participate in the worldwide voluntary "Responsible Care" programme which promotes the sustainable development of the chemical industry. Signing up to the programme, the two Companies undertook to develop their activities paying constant attention to the continuous improvement of safety, health and the environment.
This commitment is achieved by adopting the following Guiding Principles:
1) The Companies ensure that:
a) their commitment to Health, Safety and the Environment is in line with the Guiding Principles and that it becomes an inherent part of the company's general policy;
b) both Management and Employees are aware of this commitment and are involved in pursuing the goals and in raising awareness of the results reached.
2) The Companies, when carrying out their production and commercial activities:
a) respect current law provisions and promote the adoption of criteria, rules, procedures and behaviour that can improve services, cooperating with national and international institutions to contribute to Sustainable Development;
b) assess the current and potential impact of their activities and products on Health, Safety and the Environment;
c) collaborate with the cognisant institutions in defining and drawing up procedures and behaviour to improve their services.
3) Through appropriate awareness, information and training activities, the companies ensure the involvement of Human Resources and Trade Union Organisations in applying the Responsible Care Programme®.
4) The companies communicate the policy, objectives and evaluation of the results to Stakeholders in a transparent way; moreover, they inform customers on how to use, transport and dispose of their products and encourage them to adopt a policy which is in line with the Guiding Principles.
5) The Companies believe that, when selecting Suppliers, it is important to ensure that same adopt a similar commitment to Health, Safety and the Environment.
6) The Companies are also committed to:
a) optimising the use of the natural resources;
b) minimising the production of waste and delivering it to the most appropriate recovery and/or disposal plants;
c) reducing the impact of its emissions into the internal and external environment.
7) Within the context of Research and Development, the Companies promote Health, Safety and Environment activities with the aim of developing safer processes and products that have a reduced impact on the environment.
8) The Companies are committed to working with the other companies in the Programme, sharing experiences in order to favour the application of the Guiding Principles.
9) The Companies periodically check that the Guiding Principles are applied in their organisation.
For more information about the Programme, visit http://federchimica.it/servizi/sviluppo-sostenibile/responsible-care